Thursday, January 30, 2014

Fabric Softener

This week I set out to make and use my own Fabric Softener, and I did!  This recipe costs pennies to make, and can be used to wash that pesky towel load.  A few precautions:  First you are working with baking soda and vinegar.  It is going to bubble.  Second if you do not like the smell of vinegar you are going to want to add some kind of Essential Oil.
 Fabric Softener
Ingredents:
6 c white vinegar
1 c baking soda
4 drops Essential Oil
(I used lemon)

Tools:
Funnel
Liquid Measuring Cup
Dry Measuring Cup
 Measure out 6 c of white vinegar into a container.
Add Essential Oil.

 S_L_O_W_L_Y add baking soda.
It took me about 15 minutes to get all of the baking soda into the vinegar, and I bubbled over once.  Make sure to let it stop bubbling before you start adding more baking soda. 
 Another note.  Make sure to lift the funnel or that the funnel is empty or you will loose some of the baking soda.  The gas you are creating has to escape.

After you are finished, and you have let the gases escape for a while.  Put the lid on, and lable your bottle!  Enjoy.

To wash towels add 1 cup to the wash cycle.

I have a HE washer so I just fill the softener bucket with softener.  I didn't measure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment