Friday, September 6, 2013

Making the Most of Your Community Part 4

 Part 4 Do It Yourself
I can not believe in 13 years of living on the Western Slope of Colorado I've never been Peach Picking!  I live in an amazing area.  U-pick Cherries, Peaches, and Apples.  The area was beautiful, up on a mesa overlooking a lake.  The farm dog came and greeted us.  Isn't he beautiful!  I did spend money on this adventure.  U-pick Peaches at Antelope Hill $.50 per pound.   The only reason I knew they were $.50 a pound was a sign on the highway.  So keep you eyes open.  You never know when you will find something.  I picked 28 pounds in about 20 minutes.  The peaches were huge, ripe and a wonderful maroon color.  If I had just bought peaches it would have been $1.25 per pound. 

 I saved:   $ 21
Not a huge savings, but I did save money.  All it took was some effort on my part.  If I had picked enough peaches to can for the whole year I would have saved about $60.  I had a box to can, and some leftover peaches from last year.  I was able to get some exercise, spend time with an amazing friend, and bring home delicious peaches.  Well worth the money. 
 I hope you have enjoyed this mini-series on making the most out of your community.  I hope you have some new ideas, and are able to save some money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment